The experimental high-relief $20 coin struck on December 22, 1907 was the
work of two famous Americans: President Theodore Roosevelt and sculptor Augustus
Saint-Gaudens. The President was a great admirer of ancient Greek coins and
wanted to bring similar beauty to the U.S. coinage. He approached Saint-Gaudens
to redesign the 10 and the 20 dollar coins. For the $20 the sculptor chose an
advancing figure of Liberty for the obverse and a flying eagle on the reverse.
Chief-Engraver of the U.S. Mint, Charles Barber, resented the new design, partly
because the high relief of the coin required a longer striking process, thus
only a few of the very high relief pieces were struck in December, 1907. Soon
afterwards new dies with a much lower relief were created for this coin; it was
issued for circulation from 1907to 1933. The coin above shows the ultra-high
relief. It was a gift from Saint-Gaudens to President Roosevelt. In 1967, this
piece was donated to the National Numismatic Collection by Cornelius van Schaak
Roosevelt, a nephew of the President.
These 20 dollar gold coins are the only legal survivors of 455,500 double
eagles struck in the spring of 1933 but never released for circulation and
ultimately melted down in the fall of 1934. They are part of the National
Numismatic Collection. The financial instability following World War I
throughout the world encouraged many private citizens to hoard gold, ultimately
also affecting the U.S. gold reserves. The problem was compounded in the 1930's
by a general bank crisis which led, on March 6 to 9, to the closing of all
banks. President Franklin D. Roosevelt succeeded, with his legislation "the
Emergency Bank Relief Act", March 9, 1933 and the "Gold Reserve
Act", Jan. 1934, in putting an end to these crises: banks were opened, but
gold vanished. The legislation put an end to all circulation and private
possession of U.S. gold; an exemption was granted for "gold coins having a
recognized value to collectors of rare and unusual coins". Late in 1934,
the 1933 $20 coins were melted down, with the exception of the above two coins.
In 1923 they were added to the old Mint Collection, which had become a part of
the Smithsonian Collections.
This site and its contents are not affiliated, connected,
associated with or authorized by the individual, family,
friends, or trademarked entities utilizing any part or
the subject's entire name. Any official or affiliated
sites that are related to this subject will be hyper
linked below upon submission
and Evisum, Inc. review.